[lug] [OT] Mail accessibility...

socket at pop.peakpeak.com socket at pop.peakpeak.com
Thu Jan 24 14:07:29 MST 2002

> > 1) Does anyone know of a decent webmail system that can query a
POP3
> > account, doesn't append advertising garbage to the bottom of
messages,
> > and doesn't require me having a server somewhere to install it on?  I
> > was trying to use the demo server on http://www.horde.org/imp/
> > yesterday, which has a *nice* interface, but couldn't send messages
> > for some reason.
>
> Are you saying you need a web service because you don't have ANY
server, or are
> you saying you don't have a /spare/ server for webmail(/db/etc)?

I don't have permission to install new servers or complex CGIs on the
systems I have remote access to - how's that?

> If it is the second, let me recommend SquirrelMail
(http://squirrelmail.org).

Yup. There's a bunch of stuff in this category. If I had access to a box
sitting somewhere where nobody  would mind me installing stuff on it,
sure.

As for IMAP vs. POP3, I don't really care because I store all my email on
my laptop anyway, and keep stuff on the server only when I'm checking my
email from a terminal.

> Also, let me apologize for the Peak to Peak ad below.  I'm out of town
and they
> don't support SMTP AUTH :-(

Yes, that's just the thing. As you can see, I'm on Peak to peak as well, but
the webmail interface is one of the worst I've come across, and I want to
avoid having the extra six-line ad appended to all of my messages. I put it
on the level of being a walking billboard for <clothing corporation>.

Thus, I'd like another way to get at my email. To their credit, connection
difficulties with peaktopeak are extremely rare (almost always Qworst's
fault) and they've got great service and know Linux.

--
Chris Riddoch
socket at peakpeak.com

     This message was sent from Peak to Peak Internet.
 DSL - V.90 modems - Web Hosting and Business connectivity
          Please visit!  http://www.peakpeak.com
                    (888)-600-PEAK