[lug] KDE Application Slowness

Bernard Johnston berjoh at mindspring.com
Sat Jan 26 22:22:07 MST 2002

I just downloaded the latest gnumeric, which rocks. Excellent app.

However, I've noticed strange behavior with this and a few other apps under
KDE (which is my default desktop). If I bring up gnumeric before anything
else it pops right up, fine, no problem. If I connect to the internet using
KPPP, though, and then try to bring up gnumeric it takes literally minutes
before it comes up. If I break my internet connection, everything is fine
again. It's not KPPP itself; the problem occurs only after the dial-up
connection has been established.

Can anyone throw any light on this?

Thanks, Bernie