[lug] Personal Daemons

Tom Tromey tromey at redhat.com
Sat Jan 26 19:45:05 MST 2002

>>>>> "Paul" == Paul Hardiman <hardiman at hardiman.com> writes:

Paul> I was wondering if anybody has done any work or has any thoughts
Paul> dealing with starting and stopping user daemons like esd and
Paul> oafd in the context of a session?

Paul> We seem to understand how to manage daemons for boot and
Paul> shutdown, but I don't recall anything similar for when a user
Paul> logs in or out.

Yes, you can make the programs connect to the session manager.  They
can ask to be started every time a session starts.  They will
automatically be shut down when the session ends.  Gnome and KDE have
mostly-compatible session managers based on the XSMP spec.  (It's a
pretty bad spec, but it's all we've got.)

Of course, this only works for graphical logins using the session
manager.  If you want to go the old-time Unix route, you have each
user run the commands in their shell's login/logout files.

Tom