[lug] February talk

Chris Riddoch socket at peakpeak.com
Mon Jan 28 19:27:12 MST 2002

It sounds like a panel is definitely the way to do this talk.

Looking through the list, we've got several volunteers to talk about
RPM. Would you like to discuss amongst yourselves and decide who'll
talk about it? Or should I be arbitrary and just pick one of you?

Despite the fact that I've used Debian for a couple years now, the
packaging system rather evades me. I could make an attempt at learning
the system in the next couple weeks so that I'd feel more qualified to
talk about it, but does anyone feel they know the Debian system well
enough to be on the panel?

I'm quite sure that most people who could talk about packaging systems
could also talk about tarballs.

As for other packaging systems, there's also Ximian's Red Carpet, and
a friend of mine out me to Sorcerer
(http://www.distrowatch.com/review-sorcerer.php) the other day, which
has a rather unusual approach- it builds everything from source for
you as it installs. And then there's alien. Anyone else know of
different systems?

Someone brought up the idea of looking at the tools from the users',
developers', and systems administrators' perspectives.  I think we
should try to hit all three, and we probably can, if we don't spend
too much time on any specific area.

Tangential to package management are some of the software development
tools which I've never understood well, mostly for lack of a good
tutorial - autoconf, automake, libtool, etc. I understand a book has
been written on the subject, but looking through it, it felt much more
referency than tutorialy. Anybody want to do a talk on this another
month?

--
Chris Riddoch       | epistemological
socket at peakpeak.com | humility