[lug] C++ IDEs for Linux?

rm at fabula.de rm at fabula.de
Tue Jan 29 11:04:47 MST 2002

On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 10:27:03AM -0700, Tkil wrote:

> Ralf> t. i think your 'X'-key isn't working.
> Ralf> XEmacs ;-)
>
> heh.  i use both... overall, i think i prefer xemacs, but i can
> function reasonably well in either.  xemacs is probably a little
> friendlier to people used to windows IDEs, however, and your
> suggestion is a better one for that reason.

Actually, i recently installed the 'new' GNU emacs. Pretty close
to xemacs now, and the embeded postscript display could be a cool
feature for some applications. I have to admit that i was a bit
disapointed by speed/responsiveness. On my (admitedly old P233)
the app was a bit slugish. And of course i'm used to the GTK
widget set of my xemacs ...

 Ralf

But yes, i also think that (x)emacs finally reached mortals. I've
even forced marketing people to use it (<grin>i can be rather
mean, occasionally</grin>) and after a while it really grew on
them.