[lug] trn vs. attbi ???

rm at fabula.de rm at fabula.de
Wed Jan 30 02:49:34 MST 2002

On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 08:32:26PM -0700, Tkil wrote:

> SC> I'm getting a lot of segmentation faults (seemingly random) when I
> SC> try to do this.
>
> usually "strace" is a good place to start: it will tell you where your
> client is having problems.

Iff your program crashes in or near a system call ...
'strace' will only trace system calls - in case the program violates
memory access in it's own code or in a library call the result of
'strace' might lead you in the wrong direction. An alternative
(or better: a second tool) would be 'ltrace' that traces calls into
(shared) libraries. This all is only needed if you have no access
to the source code (or aren't willing to recompile with debugging
information turned on). Nothing as usefull as a god ol' coredump ;-)

 Ralf