[lug] How reliable is Linux? (quantitative)

Ferdinand Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Mon Feb 4 17:23:33 MST 2002

I am running Netscape (both, CC4.78 and N6.2.1) on my system.  When I
reboot it is for kernel upgrades or hardware upgrades.  I haven't seen a
Netscape crash that affected my system in over a year.  I have been
running KDE 2.0 and currently am running 2.2.2.  No problems.

Based on this experience I would assume that you have some configuration
conflict going on there.  Even Netscape itself hardly ever crashes here
- maybe once every 2 months.

Ferdinand

Rob Nagler wrote:

> If you would like anecdotal evidence, our servers have up for a
> half-year.  We had to reboot awhile back, because of a motherboard
> problem on one of the machines.  We used the other machines for
> debugging, so we ended up rebooting most of them.  All of our servers
> are running SMP Linux, Mylex RAID, 1GB+ RAM, etc.
>
> Our Apache servers never crash, and we run a complex application in
> mod_perl.  To be fair, we restart the slaves nightly, and restart the
> server weekly (for new releases).
>
> We have had a number of problems with Oracle of Linux.  It seems that
> Oracle corrupts database indexes fairly often.  We have been unable to
> track this down.  Moreover, I have not heard of a problem on Solaris.
> We run regular table validations, which is the only way we know that
> Oracle is corrupt.  It may be that the folks running Oracle on Solaris
> don't validate regularly, or they don't have as a transactional
> environment as we do.  I find the latter hard to believe.
>
> My biggest complaint is Netscape.  Lately, it has been crashing my
> entire desktop on a semi-weekly basis.  I guess KDE 2.1 is partly to
> blame.
>
> Rob

Ferdinand Schmid
Architectural Energy Corporation
Celebrating 20 Years of Improving Building Energy Performance
http://www.archenergy.com