[lug] How reliable is Linux? (quantitative)

Daniel Webb webb at robust.colorado.edu
Mon Feb 4 17:43:37 MST 2002

I have used 4.77 from Debian testing for quite a while now, and although
it does crash itself every 2-3 days, it never takes anything with it.

When I was using Redhat with Linux 2.4.5, I experienced maybe two kernel
crashes in a year, and 5 KDE crashes.  With Debian and 2.4.10 kernel I've
had no kernel and two KDE crashes in five months.

I would guess that Linux is more stable than the hardware if you are using
regular PC stuff.