[lug] off topic, spam laws

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Sun Feb 10 21:23:48 MST 2002

I am considering trying to get some legislation passed that would make
it a criminal offense to forge headers during commercial advertisement.
I am also thinking that due to the amount of foreign spam that is
invading with no means to cut it off (along with accelerating
quantities), which breaks local spam laws, there should be a means to
submit these spammers to backbone routers at entry points to the USA and
have their domains blocked. Basically, the toothless laws need some
means of adding weight to those who ignore them, and there needs to be
some form of non-civil recourse against those who purposely forge
headers intending to use it as a pre-planned evasion of spam laws. The
Constitition says one of our most fundamental rights is the right to be
left alone, I do not believe the issue is as trivial or petty as it
sounds. It is already a right of the state secretary of each state to
deny all business operations to any outside business which would be
against the welfare and laws of that state, and I don't think this
requires any fundamental change in existing laws, but it does require a
way to gain recourse.

If I were to try to do this, does anyone have any advice on where to
look up the procedures related to this? Or advice URL's on how to do it
successfully? What makes a good proposal format?

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com