[lug] off topic, spam laws

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Sun Feb 10 21:33:42 MST 2002

One addition. I also find that 90% of these spammers use throw-away
accounts from places like hotmail.com, yahoo, or lycos. Having them shut
down is trivial, but the same spammer gets a new name and spams again
within minutes or hours of being shut down. A lot of people probably
hate this, but I would also suggest a need to make a legal requirement
of providers of free email accounts to gain proof of identity, e.g., via
fax or mail or even a scanned driver's license, before offering the
account. I do not suggest that it has to be any form of "strong" proof,
but there needs to be some way to mark individuals that do this repeated
throw-away spam-and-get-a-new-account-within-minutes routine. Having
some requirement that would even delay the free account for 24 hours
would be a great upset; having a way to remove individuals who violate
this from any throw-away account sources would also be a benefit. Adding
a cost to free account companies would certainly get their attention,
not so much by passing such legislation, but by merely having it show up
as a possibility. The fear of this kind of legislation would itself be
some motivation to have the free account people take some kind of
preventive action instead of waiting for the same person to violate spam
rules over and over.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com