[lug] off topic, spam laws

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sun Feb 10 23:10:33 MST 2002

On Sun, Feb 10, 2002 at 09:33:42PM -0700, D. Stimits wrote:
>hate this, but I would also suggest a need to make a legal requirement
>of providers of free email accounts to gain proof of identity, e.g., via
>fax or mail or even a scanned driver's license, before offering the

I don't see how this would help...  The spammers don't really *CARE* about
the mail address or account.  They don't need it, they don't use it for
sending the messages.  In fact, many of the messages I see use a group of
what look like randomly generated user names at those sorts of domain
names...

Sean
--
 A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops.
 On my desk I have a workstation...