[lug] LaTeX, article, headers and footers

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Thu Feb 21 16:37:36 MST 2002

Ok, I have a specific question on how to add headers and footers within
a LaTeX article class. My TeX book (way out of date) shows
"\headline={whatever}" and "\footline={whatever}". I have an example two
column article, but have been unable to figure out exactly how the
syntax works to add this TeX command within a LaTeX document (compiling
with pdfelatex).

Now as an example of something I'd like to be able to do, in reading the
article.cls file, I see several lines that seem to define macros, and
some other lines that seem to be used for display of macros previously
defined. A sample of one that is for display of title via an earlier
definition of title:
  \def\@maketitle{%
...snip...

I am thinking that an article class probably has some form of header and
footer display macro, but if not, then the TeX \headline or \footline
should be possible. How would I figure out where or how I can add
headers and footers, based on the document class file? And is there some
simple trick in syntax to allow me to add TeX commands in directly for
header or footer?

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com