[lug] 802.11b wireless

Archer Sully archer at meer.net
Thu Feb 28 14:43:18 MST 2002

On Thursday 28 February 2002 02:16 pm, J. Wayde Allen wrote:
> I'm setting up for a conference and there are hard wired ethernet
> connections in the conference room connected to a dhcd server.  I've also
> got an 802.11b pcmcia wireless card available.  I'm thinking that it
> should be possible to hook this card into the network in order to create a
> wireless segment for my meeting.  I'm just not too certain what I need to
> do to pull this off?

An access point will do the job nicely.  They are nowadays available for
~$125.  At those prices, everyone should have at least one ;-).

Otherwise, you could get a PCI/PCMCIA adapter for a desktop machine
and use it as a bridge.  You would only be able to do adhoc mode this
way.  I think that the AP is an easier way to go.

Archer Sully