[lug] 802.11b wireless

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Thu Feb 28 14:50:57 MST 2002

J> On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, sanders wrote:
>> I have just set up a cobination similar to this.  Another item
>> needed is your access point to bring you into the network.  If your
>> needing others to look at your system, it'd be possible to do a
>> peer-to-peer without needing an access point unit.  If you have
>> your NIC plugged into their network you could also be the access
>> point for other wireless too.  To do peer to peer they should all
>> be set to "adhoc".

J> OK ... it is the access point that I'm not clear about.  If I'm
J> reading this correctly it sounds like I could just plug the pcmcia
J> wireless card into a laptop and plug the laptop into the network.
J> As long as the card is configured as adhoc it would then work as
J> the access point?  Would there need to be any routing software
J> installed on the laptop?

yeah, this should work... you will need to configure the laptop as a
router (turn on forwarding, masquerading, dchp, etc).

Also, some cards have issues with ad-hoc mode.
I know with the lucent cards, the older ones have one ad-hoc mode, and
then new ones have a diffrent incompatible one, so they will not talk
to each other at all ad-hoc mode. :(

The access points are pretty easy to deal with. I am sure we could
loan you one so you don't have to mess with the laptop config. ;)
They are pretty cheap these days too... (150ish?)

I like the lucent rg-1000 access point.

J> - Wayde (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)

kevin
--