[lug] System.map issue

John Karns jkarns at csd.net
Thu Feb 28 17:49:36 MST 2002

This has been languishing in my postponed msgs for a few days, as I got a
bit distracted.

On Fri, 22 Feb 2002, D. Stimits said:

> Chris Riddoch wrote:
> > This is the significant part of what's in my lilo.conf:
> > map=/boot/System.map
>
> BINGO. "map" is NOT System.map, it is part of the chain loader. In fact
> System.map should not be listed in lilo.conf at all. System.map is
> accessed by programs directly or via kernel programming, it is never
> hard coded into the boot sector. In your /boot/ should be a file
> literally called "map". Try this instead:
> map=/boot/map

This relates to a long standing issue I've had as well.  From the very top
of my boot.msg system log:

Cannot find map file.
Loaded 63 symbols from 3 modules.

I checked and there was no "map=" line in my lilo.conf, which is from a
SuSE 7.1 install.  But the man page for lilo.conf says:

       map=<map-file>
              Specifies the location of the map file. If `map' is
              omitted, the file /boot/map is used.

Furthermore, although /boot/map exists, lilo was ignoring it.

But I just added the map line to lilo.conf, and .... the problem remains.
I'm not really sure that it is much of a problem, since the system has
running fine* AFAIK, and I noticed the warning in the boot.msg file quite
some time ago, so it's been that way for a long time.  But it would be
nice to know what's going on with it.

* with one exception: the module file

John Karns                                        jkarns at csd.net