[lug] scp tools?

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Tue Mar 12 17:31:39 MST 2002

"Scott A. Herod" wrote:

> sftp is included in the rpm: openssh-clients-3.1p1-1
>
> Would it work?
>
> "D. Stimits" wrote:
> >
> > I'm curious if anyone here knows of a tool that does scp in a way that
> > is similar to gftp. I love gftp, but hate ftp insecurities.
> >
> > D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com

Hmm, something that put a damper on my enthusiasm. Turns out that sftp
requires an sftp server to run on the other end, but scp has no such
requirement. The reason my sftp is failing to that server is because the
owner doesn't have the sftp server installed. For security reasons, he
probably won't. So sftp failure isn't due to a bug in this case, but
nonetheless, it is fatal. I upgraded my gftp, to try it (thanks to
Jeffrey Siegal for mentioning it), but still can't do ssh transfers
because gftp requires sftp server at the other end. Maybe I'll be better
off trying to recode part of gftp to work with scp instead of sftp,
which would remove the requirement for a remote sftp server.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com