[lug] Help!

Terry Branaman t-branaman at attbi.com
Tue Mar 12 18:20:01 MST 2002

At 03:57 PM 3/12/2002, you wrote:

>Terry> I just upgraded using the 2002-03-01 KRUD disk. The first
>Terry> problem was that several packages caused errors during the
>Terry> install; by deselecting the packages that caused errors I was
>Terry> finally able to complete an installation.  (I can send the
>Terry> install dump from the error if needed.)
>
>what kind of errors? I would love to see the dump... ;)
>
>Terry> Now the big problem: I cannot boot into Linux! I get the error
>Terry> Kernel panic: no init found
>
>Terry> How can I get my Linux back?
>
>so it's getting to the point where it can load the kernel, but can't
>run /sbin/init after the kernel is done booting.
>
>Try booting with:
>
>linux init=/bin/bash
>
>and see if that works. Looks like your init package is messed up or
>the partition with the init package on it.

That didn't work, so I booted into rescue mode using the KRUD CD and ran
e2fsck. No errors reported, same results when I rebooted.

A little more information - the last few lines on the screen are:
pivotroot: pivot_root (/sysroot,/sysroot/initrd) failed: 2
freeing unused kernel memory. 224k freed.
Kernel panic: no init found.