[lug] Hacking Society Meeting this thursday (new location!)

Peter Hutnick peter at fpcc.net
Wed Mar 20 04:16:04 MST 2002

On Friday 15 March 2002 12:01 pm, rise wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, Peter Hutnick wrote:
> > Does anyone who's planning to be there have an XML book that I could
> > look at during the "meeting?"
>
> It's a bit untimely, but I'll be there next Thursday and I can bring any
> of "Learning XML", "The XML Elements of Style" or "XML In A Nutshell" if
> you want them.

Thank you.  I was without internet access for the past week or so, and during
that time I (re)discovered this bizarre place.  It is kind of like the
internet, except that the info is on paper and seems to be somewhat more
reliable/authoritative.  They call it a "library."  I picked up O'Reilly &
Associates "Learning XML"

It is covering what I need to know.  Thank you for the kind offer.

> > I have a project that I'd like to start on, but it involves me becoming
> > less dumb about XML.
>
> Define "less dumb". :)  The basic, in the trenches, get the work done and
> pretend this is the real world stuff isn't hard at all.  The Lovecraftian
> tangle of standards that the W3C is spewing now isn't real popular even
> with the people who make up xml-dev and makes my head hurt (actually, the
> diagram showing their interrelations does that).

It's kind of interesting to me.  I've been writing valid HTML in very small
quantities for the past several years.  It has been pretty enlightening to
learn what is behind a lot of the stuff I have just been going through the
motions on .  Plus I have made the leap from HTML 4.01 transitional to XHTML
1.0 strict for all my new pages.

Anyway, I think I now know what I need to know.

Is there a clearinghouse for DTDs?  It seems that DTD proliferation is likely
to become a problem (if it isn't already) and I don't want to contribute.
Specifically I need one for communication of cellular phone usage data.

-Peter