[lug] cheap 802.11b for linux...

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Thu Mar 21 09:50:48 MST 2002

Ed> Hi folks,

Ed> I've rtfm-ed, sorted through some (out-of-date?) list archives,
Ed> and am now seeking opinions on linux support for el-cheapo pcmcia
Ed> 802.11b cards.  Per:

Ed>   http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/ftp/SUPPORTED.CARDS

Ed> the (+/- $65) "PrismII based cards" (orinoco_cs driver) have only
Ed> "limited functionality".

Ed> So can someone please provide:

Ed>   - a first-hand account of how good/bad these cards are, and/or

well, from the orinoco driver page at
http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Orinoco.html

# PrismII card support : Not yet fully functional. Most PrismII cards
should work in some form or fashion. Ad-Hoc demo mode, IBSS Ad-Hoc
mode and bit rate setting have been seen to work on a D-Link
card. Encryption is quite broken, sometime a tcpdump manages to make
it work. Note that PrismII firmwares seems to be not as good in
general, for example they don't support Multicast...

Ed>   - a recommendation for a decent/cheap alternative?

I would get the lucent orinoco or whatever they are called today. ;)

kevin