[lug] OT: Avaya Card Performance -- Was: cheap 802.11b for linux...

rise rise at knavery.net
Thu Mar 21 18:48:07 MST 2002

On Thu, 21 Mar 2002, J. Wayde Allen wrote:

> Anyone know what the availability of equipment for 802.11a operation at 5
> GHz is right now?  The best information I've found is at
> <http://www.eetimes.com/story/OEG20010510S0080>.  Then there is the work
> chaired by the DOC Boulder Lab's own Roger Marks for the new 802.16
> standards <http://standards.ieee.org/announcements/80216app.html>.

Intersil has a chipset and I've seen multiple shipping (or due to ship
this month) products:

Announced
	Symbol

Shipping (in some cases not in stores yet)
	NetGear
	D-Link (The AirLinkPro series may actually be in stock now)

The ones I'm really curious about are the ones using the hybrid
802.11(a|b) chipsets announced late last year.  They'll be pricey, but
being able to have one card that switches between the two modes will be
very cool.

> Thats nothing the laser guys have been talking at terahertz frequencies
> for a number of years now <wink>.

And once they reach gamma ray wavelengths at decent power we can make our
own LOS.

> Actually 322 GHz is pretty impressive.  The highest frequency RF system
> I've worked on ran at 110 GHz.  I'm curious what they were using for a
> signal source - gunn oscillator, klystron, gyrotron ...?

Double (espresso) pumped marketron - one of the fastest oscillators known
to man.  Most of the others have service lives (e.g. two year olds) to
short for deployment to be feasible.  The marketrons wouldn't be usable
without an extensive infrastructure to provide low grade industrial
coffee, but that's what Starbuck's is for...

Jonathan Conway						      rise at knavery.net

	 "You really don't want to leave a logo on a victim."