[lug] cheap 802.11b for linux...

rise rise at knavery.net
Thu Mar 21 13:33:44 MST 2002

On Thu, 21 Mar 2002, Kevin Fenzi wrote:

> If I was to be looking for a card now, I would try and find one of the
> orinocos. :)

Anyone have experience with the Symbol Spectrum24 HR[0] cards?  The
Linux Wireless Extensions page sounds generally quite positive and the
driver seems quite complete (heck, it's got a good man page - when was
the last time you saw that).  I've heard a few positive comments and
they seem to be going after the same high-end market Lucent once did
with features like an antenna connector, decent multicast support, a
Kerberos v5 based security scheme[1], and reasonable power.

[0] http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Linux.Wireless.drivers.html#Spectrum24t
-   seem to have been renamed "Wireless Networker"
-   repackaged as the Intel PRO/Wireless and 3Com AirConnect

[1] http://www.symbol.com/products/whitepapers/whitepapers_security_wireless_.html
-   seems to be partially proprietary

Jonathan Conway						      rise at knavery.net

	 "You really don't want to leave a logo on a victim."