[lug] cheap 802.11b for linux...

J. Wayde Allen wallen at lug.boulder.co.us
Thu Mar 21 13:51:10 MST 2002

On Thu, 21 Mar 2002, Rob Nagler wrote:

> Is this an RP-TNC?  I bought 10 of these, if anybody wants to do
> experimenting.   They are about $8 each, and amazingly hard to find.
> I bought mine from http://www.pasternack.com/ but they have a minimum
> order of $100.

TNC isn't the most popular connector, and it is only somewhat better than
a BNC.  At these frequencies neither is a very good connector.

> Does anybody know where I can buy antenna mounts?  I've got a vertical
> which I could mount to the roof, but I think five feet would give me
> better range.  A good source for cheap grounding cable would be
> appreciated, too. 8-)

Local sources seem to be limited to Radio Shack and marginally to the
hardware stores such as Home Depot.  (Of course at the hardware store you
can get parts to build your own mounting.)  Most of what you will find
will be roof top tripods and chimney mounts.  Some of the electronic shops
in Denver "might" have a bigger selection.  Outside of this there are a
number of places on the web you can order parts from.  Not too many people
seem to mount TV antennas anymore.  The hardware stores have grounding
cable as well as grounding rods.

> Also, where does one by surplus Russian military antennas?  I keep
> reading about them, but haven't found a cheap source for them.

Russia?

- Wayde
  (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)