[lug] DHCP Migration

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu Mar 21 14:57:57 MST 2002

Kyle Moore wrote:

>I am going to migrate my DHCP server from Win2k to Linux and have a
>couple of questions that weren't answered in the Mini-How-To.
>
>1. Is pump or dhcpd the preferred server for ~300 Windows 2000 and
>Windows 98 clients?

I thought pump was only a client, not a daemon.   dhcpd is from the BIND
folks, ISC -- which either says something good or bad for reliability
depending on how far you took BIND 9 and tried to actually USE the new
features early on, and how much hair you pulled out trying.  (GRIN...
just kidding.)

>2. How should I cut things over? Do I just shut down dhcp on the Windows
>server and have everyone reboot? Can I migrate over the current leases
>from Win2k to Linux?

I don't think you can migrate them, but you should probably turn the
lease time down well in advance.  Of course, if the machines are sitting
there with leases for 6 months and never get rebooted, they're just
going to have to reboot them.

>NOTE: I'm also switching over our internal DNS from Win2k to Linux.
>Maybe I can get some sleep at night soon.

That's an interesting move.  Of course, I don't want to bash linux, but
if the clients are all Windows, (here it comes... a rare kudo for MS
from me...) the MS Active Directory/Windows network browser junk/DNS
server seems to do fine if enough Active Directory/DNS servers are
configured and running.  What caused them to want to move to Linux for
DNS internally?  The other kudo for the Windows stuff is that dynamic
DNS appears to actually work pretty well most of the time.

Far from a Windows fan, for handing internal DNS for desktop machines,
it seems to do fine.  Probably wouldn't run it for public DNS stuff
though, but you can slave a BIND machine from it for that... GRIN.

Nate