[lug] cheap 802.11b for linux...

Rob Nagler nagler at bivio.biz
Fri Mar 22 14:20:54 MST 2002

> So I see (I've never used wireless computer equipment). I would guess
> though that some wireless LAN access points are purely wireless, and do
> not offer ethernet taps, and have as their only communications the
> wireless signal (don't know, never really shopped for this).

I haven't seen a purely wireless access point.  There are a number of
problems with interference, I guess, which prevents manufacturers from
offering this option.

I have thought of building a dual access point gizmo which would allow
me to keep the cables and shortest possible.  Running power is the
problem.  Could go solar/battery, but this is more technology than it
is worth imo.  In the environments I'm working in, I have ready access
to power and hardware on the roof is the bigger problem.  Punching a
hole to run ethernet with power is easy.

Rob