[lug] pppd dropping after connection

Elyse Grasso emgrasso at data-raptors.com
Wed Mar 27 21:29:13 MST 2002

In the process of switching ISPs to frii.com. Trying to log in using wvdial.
Things connect far enough that I'm given an ip address, then it announces
that pppd has died (once with error code 13, once with error code 2) and that
it is redialing. The redials don't get as far before they fail

In /var/log/messages, it seems to get to a line that says
 Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS1
sometimes followed by
 Remote message: Request Denied
 PAP authentication failed
before it bails.

The successful connection to my old ISP goes on from there with  lines about
compression modules, default routes, ip and dns addresses, etc.

FRII says the connection is being authenticated or I wouldn't see the message
about the ip address in the command line window (which is confusing when
compared to the message log). Is it possible that it is actually the
compression negotiation that is failing sometimes?

Any suggestions for ways to track this down?

Thanks
Elyse