[lug] open port

Jeff feenix at ticnet.com
Thu Mar 28 05:32:40 MST 2002

HI folks,
Quick questions here.  I run a (very) small mail server out of my
house.  When I send mail to most every body, within seconds, I get hits
on port 113 on my machine; port 113, according to /etc/services, is
Authentication Service.  Right now, my firewall rules, say just to deny
(ignore) any hits on that port.  My questions are this:
1.  Should I leave the rules as they are?
2.  Are there any security holes in it, if I open the port?
3.  Is there a good reason for keeping the port closed or opening it?

Thanks in advance.
Jeff
--
That dog sucks!  He keeps chewing on my head!
Mike regarding Goose