[lug] DNS problems

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Tue Apr 2 16:57:45 MST 2002

I myself ran into this sort of issue during my RH 7.1 install, and I had
others later ask me about it after seeing it on a google search. Of
those who asked, the answer I had was also theirs: Default route was not
set up properly. With ppp down, you should not have a default route,
since you can access only your internal machines and there will be a
route for the netmask of each internal address by those means. When ppp
is up, it should show a default route. I don't remember the exact edit,
but there was a /etc/some_subdirectory/ edit that fixed this. To test,
run the "route" command and look for "default" in the Destination
column; do this both with and without ppp up, expect to see it with ppp
up, and expect it to not exist with ppp down. Elyse gave you the means
to add it, but you migth also use this to remove a default route that
shouldn't be there as a test (route command to add or remove will not be
permanent unless you edit the right scripts). Use route del on your
default if you have a default with ppp down; bring up ppp, and if a
default does not exist, add one to your ppp link remote address (the ppp
remote will be the gateway, and destination is default or 0.0.0.0).

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com