[lug] DNS problems

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue Apr 2 22:55:18 MST 2002

Couple more ideas...

Look at /etc/nsswitch.conf and make sure something didn't change that to
tell the machine to not use DNS.
Make sure nscd isn't loaded and running -- it could be "in the way" somehow
or misconfigured.

:-)

Tkil's note about checking the servers manually with dig or nslookup is
valid.  Is there a NAT firewall, ipchains or iptables running on the machine
itself?

You also may want to get low-level with tcpdump and see if it's actually
making DNS query requests and where they're going.

tcpdump -n port domain

Or similar, would do it.  Don't forget the -n if DNS isn't working!  ;-)
Start the tcpdump and then ping something you know you've never been to from
the machine.  You should see something like this:

22:44:13.599117 216.17.141.165.53 > 202.84.198.59.53:  16337 A?
yaddayadda.com. (32)
22:44:13.891933 202.84.198.59.53 > 216.17.141.165.53:  16337*- 1/2/2 A
194.200.132.34 (126)

(To paraphrase a famous Dilbert, the conversation above ammounts to: "You've
got A records?  You must be one of those uppity BIND servers!   Here it is
kid, get yourself a bigger cache.")

Nate, nate at natetech.com