[lug] Self Destruct?

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Sat Apr 13 14:15:11 MDT 2002

Fred Robinson wrote:

> Ok, so this is probably an unsual inquiry but I have an interest in
> acquiring an application or diskette image that is bootable, that will boot
> a PC into DOS, and automatically kickoff off a batch file, or virus for that
> matter, that will render the hard drive unbootable or unreadable, that is of
> course until desktop support repairs the disk by reformatting and
> re-installing the O/S.  Has anyone seen something like this?
>
> Why do I want such a destructive application or disk image?
> I want to be able to scuttle my laptop if necessary, and I want it to be
> quick and effortless.  Just execute an application or plug the floppy in,
> reboot, and it's finished.
>
> Recently I was terminated from a job, unsuspecting of course.  I was frantic
> to delete EVERYTHING on the machine.  It was a dual bootable machine, Win2K
> and Linux.  From Win2K I first tried to format
> C:\ but since I didn't have the Administrator login it wouldn't allow me to
> do this.  So I went about trying to delete everything piece by piece.  Of
> course I'm still not certain I deleted all my intellectual property, but I
> got most of it.  Then there is the issue of the Linux partition.  I didn't
> have time to blast it.  I had little time to sanitize the machine so I
> banked on the PC techs lack of knowledge of Linux, that he wouldn't know how
> to crack the password and login, so I left the Linux partition as it was.
> However, in the future, I would like the ability to simply execute an
> application or hit the power/reset button, boot a floppy, and not have to
> worry about anyone having access to something I may have left
> behind..........
>
> Thoughts.........

Bad idea. Assume you do what you are suggesting, more likely than not
you'll just end up in hot water. Most of the "scuttling", if you don't
use something that goes to a lot of effort (and time), will not actually
destroy your data (anything you destroy of theirs, including an
operating system install, could be destruction of *their* property...a
problem even if you are intent on only hitting your own). And if they
want to claim you did something against them, probably everything of
your own that did get destroyed will count against you...I would never
do this. If you really want a protection that works quickly, you have to
encrypt as you go. If for example you had an encrypted partition, you
have to give a pass each time you mount it, you could put sensitive data
there. This has all kinds of weaknesses if someone were to monitor
keystrokes, or if you find someone sophisticated enough to monitor ram
or swap data at the right moment, but a good encryption and a normal
reboot will render it inaccessible to most any admin type even if they
generally know the system. But the nice part is you can always supply
the pass and prove what is there is yours or that you didn't destroy
their property. Assuming you don't cut power abnormally while something
is swapped out, you should be safe within the circumstances you mention,
within linux. I'm not sure, but perhaps if your logins are all via ssh,
you might add more protection (ssh locally, not remote). If you are
using NTFS on win2k, or NT4, I believe you'll find encryption of files
is possible as well, though there are a lot of cases where windows will
silently downgrade your encryption strength if it thinks you are from
the wrong country. In any case, I would not work for someone I felt
would be a dishonest backstabber, though in the current economy I can
see why it might be hard to leave (until thinking about actual economy
these days, it seems easy to say "just don't work for someone like
that").

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com