[lug] Self Destruct?

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Sat Apr 13 19:53:02 MDT 2002

> Of
> course I'm still not certain I deleted all my intellectual property, but I
> got most of it.

Why were you storing "your" intellectual property on their system?

I'm serious.  Hardware is cheap, and there's absolutely no reason to
use their hardware for anything other than the reason it was provided
to you.

Now were this your laptop and you're using it with their knowledge
and consent, it's a different situation.  But you said it's their laptop,
so this situation is very clear cut.

> I had little time to sanitize the machine so I
> banked on the PC techs lack of knowledge of Linux, that he wouldn't know how
> to crack the password and login, so I left the Linux partition as it was.

So what?  They have physical possession of the disk, and it can be easily
read by anyone with basic Linux knowledge.  I even have a couple of laptop
to 3.5" disk adapters, if your former employer wishes to contact me.

BTW, the same thing applies to your "deleted" files.  If they care,
they can probably recover most of the files you deleted.

Bear