[lug] Video gone haywire

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Sat Apr 13 14:23:08 MDT 2002

Ken Weinert wrote:

> Any thoughts on why my video should have suddenly gone haywire?
>
> It appears as if I've lost horizontal sync, but only in graphics mode,
> text mode is fine.
>
> It also comes up in graphic mode just fine on that "other" OS :)
>
> This looks like the relevant part of the login, the hardware is:
> ViewSonic 6/Diamond Monster card, 16M (voodoo banshee)
>
> Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
> agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 263M
> agpgart: Detected Intel 440BX chipset
> agpgart: AGP aperture is 64M @ 0xf8000000
> [drm] AGP 0.99 on Intel 440BX @ 0xf8000000 64MB
> [drm] Initialized tdfx 1.0.0 20000928 on minor 63
> [drm] AGP 0.99 on Intel 440BX @ 0xf8000000 64MB
> [drm] Initialized radeon 1.0.0 20010105 on minor 62
>
> Neither hardware nor software has changed, it just suddenly stopped
> working. Any ideas if the card or monitor is the more likely suspect?

Is this redhat? If so, is Kudzu running (most redhat installs run this
during boot, you'll know if you've disabled it)? There are several cases
where if something crashed, the next reboot could assume this is new
hardware and install different configuration in your
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 (a very annoying feature, but fortunately it
doesn't seem to do this by default, though it does ask by default). I'm
assuming a lot, I don't even know what distribution it is. But FYI, the
amount of log you presented is normal, it doesn't offer any
clues...perhaps you could add a url to the full X11 log. My suspicion is
configuration, but one other possibility is if temperature has changed
significantly there, it might make a previously stable modeline no
longer work (and the modelines are probably quite different between the
win and linux boots, so unless you know they had the same modeline, you
can't really test that simply by knowing it booted in one but not the
other).

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com