[lug] new kernel

Chris Riddoch socket at peakpeak.com
Sun Apr 14 23:47:26 MDT 2002

"j davis" <davis_compz at hotmail.com> writes:

> hi,
>
> i just installed my first custom kernel(2.5.5). i have 512mb ddr ram.
> my system is caching 373 mbs of that then you add other mem usage and
> i only have 4mb of phisical ram unused at any given time.I dont think
> this is normal..i do run x ...but not much else..So im wondering
>
> if this could have something to do with choosing some wrong options with
> xconfig.

In case you hadn't read it somewhere else, the version numbers for the
kernel work like this:

If the second number is even, you're using a stable kernel.
If the second number is odd, you're using a development kernel.

If this is your first custom kernel, you *really* don't want to be
using a development kernel. If I were you, I'd suggest using the most
recent *stable* kernel:

http://www.us.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.4/linux-2.4.18.tar.gz

More particularly, unless there's a specific reason you need to
upgrade your kernel (such as adding support for hardware), the one
that came with your distribution should work fine.

Using development kernels is a very good way to completely hose your
system.

--
Chris Riddoch       | epistemological
socket at peakpeak.com | humility