[lug] new kernel

Chris Riddoch socket at peakpeak.com
Mon Apr 15 00:40:44 MDT 2002

"j davis" <davis_compz at hotmail.com> writes:

> my box seems to be running fine... should i down grade..its just my
> home box.

Well, I'm actually surprised it works at all. There've been a lot of
pretty large changes in the 2.5.x series so far, and more to come.

> maybe thats why i had such problems compiling..i had to edit the
> .config file
>
> 5 or 6 times before it worked. btw..im building a new kernel in to get
> support

> for my zio flash card. just thoght i would grab a recent but not the
> most recent kernel release

It looks like the ZiO is supported in 2.4.18. Under 'make xconfig' or
'make menuconfig', you'll find this:

Menu: USB Support

Sub-menu: USB Mass Storage support

Item: Microtech CompactFlash/SmartMedia reader
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_DPCM
  Say Y here to support the Microtech ZiO! CompactFlash/SmartMedia
  reader, details at <http://www.microtechint.com/zio/index.html>.
  This driver treats the flash card as a removable storage device.

You'll need to include SCSI support to get things in "USB Mass Storage
support" to show up in the menu.  Also, when you include these sorts
of things in your kernel, include them as modules. Generally, anything
you don't absolutely need in order for your system to boot should be
built as a module instead.

> thanks to all of you for the info...so its now my understanding..to use
> a recent kernel use 2.4.18 or wait for 2.6 (all 2.5.* is dev kernel?)

Waiting for 2.6 could take a while. Go with 2.4.18.

--
Chris Riddoch       | epistemological
socket at peakpeak.com | humility