[lug] Idea

Stephen Queen svq at peakpeak.com
Wed Apr 17 09:45:44 MDT 2002

I have been following the discussion on employment with
interest because I too have been unemployed for an
unacceptable amount of time. The
main reason that people seem to be unemployed right now is
the economic climate. With the slumping economy (is it
really slumping? the people I
know that are not in the tech business don't even seem to
notice), corporations are afraid to develop new products or
take a risk on new or
developing technologies. The reason this affects us of
course, is because the major cost of developing new products
and applying new technologies
is the price of the talent to implement it.

Having lived through several major down turns in my life,
the one in the late 60's wiped out my fathers career in
aerospace, the one in the
mid 70's had me working as a laborer, and the one in the
early 80's causing an extended period of unemployment, and
the one in the late 80's was hard on some of my associates,(
I managed to stay employed through that one) has caused me
to observe a few things that maybe will pay off. The most
important observation is that a down turn is the best time
for a little guy to take a major business risk. The big boys
are all afraid to, so there
is little to no competition. During the last up turn I heard
a number of people express the lament that they had not
invested in Microsoft, Cisco,
etc., when they were small, because now they would be rich.
The reason they didn't invest in these companies when they
were small,
was that when these companies were small, the economic
climate was poor and no one was taking risks, except the
desperate people starting these
companies.

I have only been on this mailing list a few days, but I can
see that there are a number of very talented people that are
willing to work, but
whose skills are not being exploited for anybody's benefit.
So maybe a few of you are getting desperate enough to take a
chance.
Here are my thoughts. Those unemployed souls ( and employed
souls ) who are interested, pool our talents together and
try to create a profitable
enterprise. Since the major cost of a business is the
talent, we have already solved a major obstacle. I have a
building on my property that
is heated, insulated, has electricity and a phone line,
though no AC.

If you are interested, lets plan a meeting. At the meeting
each person will introduce themselves and describe what
talents and skills they can
contribute. Before the meeting each person should brain
storm on their own for an idea on a profitable enterprise.
I'm not really interested in
a get rich quick scheme, but a stable enterprise. Then at
the meeting we can begin to organize enough to know whether
to proceed or not.
If you are still interested please respond to me at
svq at peakpeak.com

Sincerely,
Stephen Queen