[lug] Key repeat in X

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Thu Apr 18 15:26:16 MDT 2002

Rob Riggs wrote:

> I stay logged in to X for weeks at a time. I've been logged in to the
> same session for over 10 days now. And over long periods of time my key
> repeat stops working. It just happened to me for the first time during
> this session. The way to correct this (in the short term) is to run
> "xset r on", but this is getting quite annoying, especially so since it
> appears that the problem becomes more frequent the longer I remain
> logged in.
>
> Has anyone run in to this and found a solution? This happens both at
> work and at home. I suppose it could be related to an application that I
> infrequently run, but I don't know what it would be.

I don't know the solution yet, but I do know that some applications,
while they are running, grab this, and exiting those apps lets it
restart. My rough guess is that somehow these applications are catching
the event for repeat even though they are not in focus, I do not know
how or why. I would guess that when this happens, making sure apps are
closed, one at a time, and that the process itself is gone, that the
repeat will work again, without xset. One trick is that not all running
applications actually provide a gui window in X11, so running
application might not be obvious, except that it will be an X11
application.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com