[lug] Serial Line Direct Connection

Daniel Webb webb at robust.colorado.edu
Sun Apr 21 19:47:27 MDT 2002

I have had an old (1997 or so) laptop running PPP over serial at around 10
KB/s, and I think it was more like 30 KB/s using PLIP.  I loaded Debian
over PLIP using a special PLIP installer.  I don't recommend it unless
there's no other choice.  It will probably take a little (or a lot) time
to get working.  I have been much happier since I bought an SMC PCMCIA
ethernet card for $80 or so.

By the way, I had no problem running RS232 100 ft at full port speed (115
kb/s?), despite everyone saying that can't be done.  I was running it over
cat5 cable, using only 3 wires.

These are the notes I wrote to myself about setting up PLIP, but I seem to
have misplaced the serial port notes:

Connecting to a laptop via parallel port:
  parallel port stuff must be compiled in the kernel as modules
  plip driver must be in the kernel as a module
  BIOS must set up parallel port
  echo 7 > /proc/parport/0/irq
    ... if the parallel port irq is 7
  modprobe plip
  add laptop IP to /etc/hosts
  /etc/hosts.allow should have lines:
    portmap: 192.168.1.1
    ... replace with your IP, but IP MUST be a number!
  set /etc/exports to the directory you want.  Also, be sure
    and use the no_root_squash and no_subtree_check options.
  make sure NFS is running:
    rpcinfo -p
  Bring up plip interace:
    ifconfig plip0 robust pointopoint laptop netmask 255.255.255.0 up
  Turn on IP forwarding
    echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
  Starting ipchains for masquerading on the host (unsecure way)
    ipchains -P forward MASQ