Social Contracts: was Re: [lug] Attempted hack from 202.185.243.121

Scott A. Herod herod at interact-tv.com
Mon Apr 22 09:37:32 MDT 2002

Hello all,

Speaking of social contracts, did anyone see the business section
of the Camera on Saturday.  I'm I wrong to become angry about the
publication of a map with stick-pins locating open wireless networks.
( No, mine is not one of them. )  I acknowledge the necessity of
making security vulnerabilities well known, but that map seems to
be the ethical equivalent of a lock-smith checking front doors in a
neighborhood and printing a map of people that don't lock theirs.

At what point do people alerting others to security problems go too
far?

Scott