[lug] Star Office 5.2...

LittleViggy at alum.manhattan.edu LittleViggy at alum.manhattan.edu
Mon Apr 22 14:23:29 MDT 2002

Both, actually.

I initially installed with without the "-net" flag (as root), but I did not try
to run it as root (well, because I'll prolly never run it as root).  Ran into
this snag ("Setup.ins not found...") and searched Google.  I found that I
should have run it with the -net flag; so I blew away the folder containing
Office; and reinstalled it (as root), using the "-net" flag.

The problem is not in the actual running of the exe's.  It seems I can run
them.  Both the root account, and my normal user account get the *same* error,
namely:

"The installation program cannot find the script file in which all of the
instructions required for installation have been saved.  The file was looked
for in the following directory:  /fat-d/office52/program/setup.ins.  The
installation program cannot be executed without this file, it will now be
terminated."

Both my regular user **AND** root get this same error message.  One person
posted to the newsgroups that perhaps the SOffice installer was "smart", and
assumed a Windows installation because the drive volume is FAT32.

Viggy

PS.  The file setup.ins does not exist.  However, install.ini does.  I tried
copying install.ini to setup.ins, and I *do* get a different error.  I first
get some dialog in German, then I get a dialog that says, "Script file is
invalid." and then the program exits.

"J. Wayde Allen" wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Apr 2002 hirsch at zapmedia.com wrote:
>
> > So would it work to add uid and gid options to the mount command?  If
> > you mount it so that it is all owned by you maybe that will work.
>
> Don't know.  I am however, curious if the original installation was run
> with the net flag?  In other words was the installation done as:
>
>    so-5_2-ga-bin-linux-en.bin
>
> or
>
>    so-5_2-ga-bin-linux-en.bin -net
>
> If done the first way, then the program has to be run as root.  If done
> the second way, then each user can run setup to create personal files in
> their home accounts.
>
> Haven't been following this too carefully, so perhaps this has already
> been mentioned?  Probably won't help if you can't run the program from the
> mounted partition as root.
>
> - Wayde

(wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)

     This message was sent from Peak to Peak Internet.
 DSL - V.90 modems - Web Hosting and Business connectivity
          Please visit!  http://www.peakpeak.com
                    (888)-600-PEAK