[lug] Star Office 5.2...

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Mon Apr 22 15:54:55 MDT 2002

John Hernandez wrote:

> Another possible explanation is that symbolic links are not supported
> under FAT.  Perhaps the installation relies on symlinks?

Long filenames under vfat are not really the name that they appear as.
It isn't unusual for "find" and a number of other applications to fail
because the underlying name is really something else, it all depends on
how the app tries to find the filename. But for example if a file
appears to be ThisAndThatAgain.bin to Linux, it might really be
something like thisan~2.bin under vfat, and anything not understanding
this can fail (though usually it works if the full explicit path is
named). Perhaps SO is just getting confused by filesystem fake names.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com