[lug] OT: network gear

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon Apr 22 18:31:42 MDT 2002

Some switches are cheaper than others and don't have enough backplane speed
nor buffering between ports to truely offer full switched services between
multiple machines.  Many switch vendors on the low-end are loathe to tell
you this or give you buffer sizes, maximum packet rates with 2 machines, 3
machines, 4 machines, etc... running... and in general the cheaper the
switch, the less backplane raw speed it has and the less buffering.

There most definitely *is* a difference between a SOHO no-name 5 port
"switch" from the local computer store and even a low-end Cisco Catalyst
switch.

And of course if you wander up to Gigabit speeds and play with the Cat
4000's and 6000's... well... whole different planet.

Nate, nate at natetech.com