[lug] Attempted hack from 202.185.243.121

Tom Tromey tromey at redhat.com
Wed Apr 24 10:20:40 MDT 2002

>>>>> "Daniel" == Daniel Webb <webb at robust.colorado.edu> writes:

Daniel> Now that I have been using Linux a little longer, I know about
Daniel> the alternate ways of automating Redhat package updates, but
Daniel> it still doesn't beat the built-in power of apt-get.

People tell me that RHN is about the same as apt-get.  Do you know
different?  I've used Debian but I still haven't tried RHN.  A long
time ago I switched from Red Hat to Debian just to be able to use
apt-get -- it is definitely a very cool feature.

Daniel> The big downside to Debian for some people is that the testing
Daniel> version basically requires a high-speed internet connection to
Daniel> keep up to date.  Their stable versions come out about once an
Daniel> ice-age or so, which means CD updates aren't a good solution.

Daniel> I have used both Debian and Redhat quite a bit, and I don't
Daniel> understand why Redhat has so many more people using it.

Regular releases is one reason.  This is more important than you might
think.  I switched my main machine away from Debian because of this.
This was before `testing' was around -- and even so, how much can you
really trust testing?

This leads to the next reason, QA.  I'm sure I'll get a lot of flames
about this.  But the reality is that Red Hat releases go through a lot
of QA.  (Debian releases perhaps go through too much, which is why
they're infrequent :-)

Also, I still find the Red Hat install process easier than Debian (I
installed Debian on my laptop last month).

I think corporations prefer Red Hat because it is perceived as the
"leader", and also because there is a company behind it.  These
reasons aren't as bogus as they sound.

Tom