[lug] rpm build with "fg: no job control"

Hugh Brown hugh at vecna.com
Wed Apr 24 11:17:25 MDT 2002

I have run into this error a lot when trying to use mandrake packages on
redhat systems.

The exact error is:

/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.95483: fg: no job control

RPM build errors:

I finally found out why and wanted to share.  Mandrake defines a macro
named "%make" which redhat doesn't use/define.  So when it hits the
%make in the spec file it tries to interpret the command literally (%<n>
refers to a job number) and fails. (Found the info at
http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/basics/brpm4.html)

Potential solutions include grabbing that piece of the mandrake macros
file and put it in your .rpmmacros or in the system wide macros file
(/usr/lib/rpm/macros); hack on the spec file.

Hugh