[lug] Re: [CLUE-Tech] A Linux version of system and network monitoring?

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Mon Apr 29 18:08:31 MDT 2002

On Mon, 2002-04-29 at 16:20, Crawford Rainwater wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Does anyone know of a Linux based system and network
> monitoring program out there?  Similar to Tivoli or
> HP OpenView, preferably under GPL and free?  If so,
> links and such would be great.

Have you looked at OpenNMS?

  http://www.opennms.com
  http://www.opennms.org

I saw demos nearly a year ago and it was quite impressive at that time.
I understand that they've made considerable progress since then and are
approaching a 1.0 release.

Anyway, its open-source, has a plug-in architecture, and does all sorts
of both useful and gee-wiz things (including real-time network
discovery, polling servers and sending warnings when they go down,
etc.).

hth,
Ed

--