[lug] RE: [CLUE-Tech] A Linux version of system and network monitoring?

David Jackson david.j.jackson at pickledbeans.com
Mon Apr 29 18:23:15 MDT 2002

HP Openview is much the same, mainly used to monitor large datacenters
and network. IBM GS uses it in "Niwot" to monitor Servers, as well
as the entire WAN (switches,routers, etc). This is usealy handled by
what I can Tier II support, IT Operation or Managerd Operations.
To give you an idea of how detailed it can get, I got a call one
night from Managed Ops, telling me *syslog* wasn't running on a server
I just been working on !!

Monitoring tools raise the the question "who watching the watchers",

Sun Microsystem in broomfield, used 4 servers running SMS to monitor
thier data center. One morning one of the senior SA noticed that
one of the SMS servers was down all night? Why didn't 3rd shift catch this?
Because the SMS servers weren't being monitored by SMS?!!

David