[lug] NIC Speed

Tkil tkil at scrye.com
Wed May 1 18:12:37 MDT 2002

>>>>> "Kyle" == Kyle Moore <kmoore at mooreimages.com> writes:

Kyle> How can I tell what speed my NIC is negotiating? [...]  Is there
Kyle> a way to tell from the box what speed it is seeing.

most switches/hubs i've seen have some indication on them for
different speeds.  many cards i've worked with have similar (that is,
actual LEDs or other indicators showing link status).

to find this from software, look into the programs at:

   http://www.scyld.com/diag/

my redhat 7.2 box has "mii-tool" (part of net-tools) which seems to
show the information you want:

| # rpm -qf `which mii-tool`
| net-tools-1.60-3
| # mii-tool
| eth0: no autonegotiation, 10baseT-HD, link ok

this will only work if you have an MII PHY (?) interface -- but most
100Mbit cards use those, so...

t.