[lug] NIC Speed

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Fri May 3 15:03:56 MDT 2002

Stephen Queen wrote:

> > Ha!  I just posted a message about NIC speeds to the CLUE-TECH list.  Go
> > figure.  Netcat seems to be usefull, as well as using the Tx an Rx bytes
> > numbers from ifconfig.  There is also a program called NetPerf, which I
> > have installed, but haven't ran yet.  So far, it seems that I am getting
> > only about 30% of the advertised 100 Mb/s between my machines and my
> > wife.  I have long suspeced that it was slower than it should be.  I am
> > investigating solutions.
> >

> The advertised 100Mb/s is the maximum bit rate of the card, not the average
> sustained speed. If you are getting 30% of the maximum sustained speed from
> your NIC that would be in the acceptable or normal range.
>
> Steve Queen

I have to wonder why though mii-tool is reporting on the integrated
version of the Intel EE Pro 100 10 MBit/sec and half duplex at one end,
but correctly reporting 100 Mbit/sec and full duplex on the other
machine, when the LED's on the switch show *both* at 100 Mbit/sec and
full duplex. They are the same card, running on very very similar
systems (SMP, RH 7.1 and RH 7.1 beta pre-release, updated).

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com