[lug] Web Layers

Tkil tkil at scrye.com
Thu May 16 23:42:00 MDT 2002

>>>>> "Paul" == Paul Bille <Paul at ebille.cudenver.edu> writes:

Paul> P.S. I've observed a problem with the Netscape browser v6.0+
Paul>      being unable to manage multiple imbedded levels of span and
Paul>      paragraph code blocks.  I finally had to stop closing
Paul>      paragraphs with </p> because Netscape was acting funky.

This is a bug, clean and simple.  Although, what do you mean by
"embedded" here?  Can <p> legally appear inside a <span>?  I don't
think so, but I don't think I'll have time to check the relevant DTDs.
I believe that <p> and <div> are both block-level elements, while
allowed to nest a <p> within a <span>; the fact that Netscape can't
handle this is a quality-of-implementation (in the "survive bad HTML
that is thown at us") as opposed to a bug as such.

Paul>      I don't think closing paragraphs with </p> is required any
Paul>      longer in HTML 4.0.

Originally, <p> didn't need to be closed at all.  I don't remember the
exact stage it changed, but certainly compliant XHTML 1.0 *requires*
that the <p> be closed with a </p>.

(This is the same switch that Sean was getting at, with the trailing
slash; in XML, all elements are assumed to have contents, unless you
put the "/>" at the end to indicate it's an empty element.  The space
is to appease parsers, I don't believe it's required by the spec (but
i could be wrong).  I most often encounter this with "<br />" and

t.