[lug] Kernel 2.4.18 for C3-based board

Ferdinand Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Wed May 29 17:47:31 MDT 2002

"Scott A. Herod" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I recently installed RH 7.3 on a new Via board that I got.  Installation
> was fine and the board works well. ( Except for the XF86 4.2.0 trident
> driver over the RCA video output.  X with vesa works though. )  I did
<snip>
>     make mrproper
>     cp configs/kernel-2.4.18-i686.config .config
>     make xconfig ( Save and exit with no changes )
>     make clean; make dep; make; make modules; make modules_install

Why do you need the make statement after make dep?

>     make bzImage
>     cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-itv

This may not be your problem - but wouldn't you want to take the System.map
along into the boot directory?

> In /boot, do "mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.2.14-itv.img 2.2.14-itv"
> Edit lilo.conf to say:

What specific chipset does this board use?  I recently had mixed success
with one of the newer via chipsets (KT333/VT8233A).  Linux detected the
chipset as a KT266 and PCI peripherals only partially worked.  I assume
that you are using lower end hardware for your prjoect but you may want to
make sure that Linux detects the right kind of hardware.

Ferdinand
--
Ferdinand Schmid
Architectural Energy Corporation