[lug] XFree86 vs. XF86_SVGA?

Scott A. Herod herod at interact-tv.com
Mon Jun 3 14:10:11 MDT 2002

Hello,

   I have a bunch of questions about the difference between the XFree86
server and XF86_SVGA server.  But, I'll start with just one: Does the
XF86_SVGA server use the drivers in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/ ?

   On one of my boxes, with a ATI Rage 128, it does not even appear that
RH 7.3 and XF86 4.2.0 even provided an XF86_SVGA server instead using
XFree86.  Another box, with a Trident Cyberblade i1, wants to use the
XF86_SVGA driver by default.  On this trident box, am I even using the
trident driver?  Can I change the server that I use simply by changing
the softlink /etc/X11/X to point to either the XF86_SVGA or XFree86 server?

Thanks,

Scott