[lug] Dual boot from two hard drives, LILO

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Wed Jun 5 10:19:37 MDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-06-05 at 09:51, Glenn Murray wrote:

> On 2 Jun 2002, Hugh Brown wrote:
>
> > In the past, it has been my experience that windows on /dev/hda and
> > linux on /dev/hdb will not work with lilo.  We always had to use a boot
> > floppy.  Lilo wanted to have a /boot partition on /dev/hda.
> >
> > I don't know what grub is capable of in that regard.  IIRC, grub claims
> > not to be stuck with the limitations that lilo has, whatever that means.

I'm dual-booting a few machines with RH 7.2/7.3 and either W2K or
WinXP.  One of them has multiple hard disks with different OSes on
each.  On all of them, I'm using grub and it works great.  I think grub
is *much* nicer than Lilo in many respects (eg. config editing, no
1024-cyl limitation) and I highly recommend it.

hth,
Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD    |  Email:       ed at eh3.com, ehill at mines.edu